Thursday, March 8, 2018

Nintendo Direct March 8th, 2018

So I just finished watching the Nintendo Direct that was aired today on March 8th, and they packed a lot of things in it.  Whether those things were noteworthy or not is dependent on the fan, but the truth is a lot of information was still shared in the span of a half hour.  I should have been doing this blog while watching, so I'm only going off memory and I'll mention the ones that I felt were worth mentioning.

3DS news started the show off with a string of announcements.  The first announcement they had was for a new WarioWare game.  I absolutely loved the WarioWare games and this was one of Nintendo's franchises that lay dormant for some time.  From the sounds of it, the game's going to be the biggest WarioWare yet.  Really looking forward to it!

Detective Pikachu is a game that looks like it could be interesting, but since I've never been a Pokemon fan (GAAAAAAAAAAAAASP), I doubt I'd play it.  I'll keep my eyes on it, though.  If reviews turn out to be great, I'll give a shot.  I do like quirky concept games.  Hell, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle turned out to be one of the best games I played last year.

A remake of Luigi's Mansion is headed to the 3DS, and to be honest, I'm a bit miffed.  Part of me is upset because it's coming to the 3DS and not the Switch, and the other part of me is upset because it's not really much of a remake.  I'd rather have a new Luigi's Mansion altogether, particularly on Switch.  I loved Luigi's Mansion, but not nearly enough to buy it again on the 3DS.

They also announced a port of Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story headed to the 3DS.  Great game, loved it on the DS, but there isn't any kind of treatment or extra content they can include to get me to buy it again.  I'd MUCH rather have them make a brand new Mario and Luigi.

Then the Switch announcements came.  Of course, they were going to show off Dark Souls, a game we already knew was coming, but they also announced a new Amiibo for it.


Now, I played the hell out of Dark Souls and would love to play it again on the Switch, but sadly I don't think I'd ever find the time to do so.  Everyday, it's getting harder and harder to catch up on my backlog, and Dark Souls on Switch would only make that worse.  If I was going to get Dark Souls on Switch, I'd definitely get this Amiibo though.

They showed off a bit of Mario Tennis: Aces and I have to say that I am really excited for this game! The Mario Tennis franchise hasn't had a decent entry since the GameCube version.  The 3DS version was a letdown and the Wii U version was so bare bones, I didn't even bother with it.  With Nintendo's current trend of taking Wii U games and porting them to the Switch, I'm happier than happy that they decided NOT to go that route with this series and instead build upon its gameplay and also bring back a proper story mode.  Can't wait to play this game!

And then there's this:


Although this is a fanmade box art, it got confirmed that Crash is heading toward the Switch.  I keep forgetting that Crash isn't a Sony owned IP.  I'm also annoyed by the fact that I still haven't gotten around to play my PS4 version and had I known that this was coming to the Switch, I would have held off.  God dammit, this is the perfect Switch game.  I might just trade up.  I don't know.

Adding to another game that I wish I didn't buy for the PS4 because it's instead coming to the Switch is South Park: The Fractured But Whole.  To quote the great Cartmann, "GOD DAMMIT!"  Seriously, the Switch is proving to me that if I just hold off on getting games for the PS4, they'll eventually come to the Switch.

More gameplay was shown for the new Travis Touchdown game but unfortunately, my feed cut out and when it came back on, I only caught a little bit of it.  What I did see, though, resembled nothing of the No More Heroes games I remember.  I'll still definitely check it out, though.

Some more of Project Octopath Traveler was shown.  Two new classes; an apothecary and a merchant, were introduced.  I'm a bit skeptical of how they'll play gameplay wise.  We finally got a date for it, though.  July 13th!  I played the demo they put out last year and fell in love with it, so this is my most anticipated title for the Switch this year.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is joining the port cavalcade to the Switch while also bringing some stages based on Super Mario Odyssey levels.  As much as I loved Captain Toad on the Wii U, I'm not really sure whether or not that's enough to make me buy the game again.  Time and money... It's also headed to the 3DS and will feature touch controls.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot this one.  OKAMI HD!!!  Can you believe that I STILL haven't played this game?  I own the original PS2 game, still sealed, and of course I can't play it even if I wanted to because I can't find my PS2 and my OG PS3 with the Emotion Engine chip went defunk years ago.  The Switch version will make it the perfect time to finally play this game.

There was also a lot of info released surrounding Splatoon 2.  A version 3.0 update will bring in new gear, new multiplayer stuff and a new ranking.  There's also going to be an expansion that will release for it called Octo that brings more single player content and a new character.  But, it's 20 bucks and I'm not sure if it will be worth it at this point.

I know I'm forgetting something... there's just so much they fired off.  But of course, they closed it with a final announcement:


When I first watched the video, I recognized Ink Boy and Ink Girl as Splatoon 1 versions, so I was thinking they were announcing a port of the Wii U Splatoon?  That made no sense, so it tripped me up completely when the lights dimmed and the profiles of Mario and Zelda preluded the flaming SSB logo.  Now, while the entire Internet is going bat shit crazy over this, I'm moderately reserved.  For one, I didn't care much for the Wii U Smash.  I hated that there was no proper story mode, although everyone will tell me mutliplayer is where it's at, but no story meant I got bored with it after I tried all the characters.

So, if this Smash turns out to be just Wii U Smash all over again with new characters, I'll pass.  I'm hoping against all hope, though, that this is Smash 5, completely brand new with ...  A STORY MODE!  They knew the importance of story mode for Mario Tennis, so that's what I'm hoping will happen here.  We'll just have to wait until at least E3 to find out.




No comments:

Post a Comment