Saturday, May 4, 2019

The Loot Box Vol. 5

The Sonic the Hedgehog Movie


So there's that... I got to be honest, I'm torn here.  On the one hand, this movie looks legitimately bad.  It's so cringe worthy.  The design of Sonic itself... it's just not right. On the other hand, it has Jim Carrey.  I'm a huge fan of Jim Carrey, so I'm going to watch this for him.  In fact, I love Jim Carrey so much, I have most of his movies.  Something tells me that I'm probably going to end up buying this movie just because of Jim Carrey.  I can only hope it turns out half-way decent, but I'm not getting any hopes up.

And wow, before I could even get this blog up, it appears Paramount has listened to the internet and will be redesigning Sonic.   But this just begs the question to be asked: how did the current design ever come to pass?  If they really were listening to fans, wasn't there any fan that was working on this film that said, "Wait, this doesn't look right?"  I can't wait to see what the new Sonic looks like.  Let's just hope it doesn't end up looking worse.  But still, we have the rest of the movie to worry about.  Aside from Jim Carrey (who may or may not end up being fat depending on how many people complain about him), the rest of the movie just doesn't look that great.

Virtua Racing for Switch

So I just heard that Virtua Racing is available on the Switch's eShop, but only in Japan.  A release date for the USA and Europe hasn't been confirmed, but I can only hope that means it IS coming.  I loved Virtua Racing back in the day and almost spent 100 dollars on the Genesis version.  I'm trying hard to remember, but I think I actually bought a 32X for Virtua Racing.  Because of my one game a month restriction, I'm not sure if I'll get this game or not, but I'm also hoping that Sega Ages brings us Daytona as well.  That one I probably would spring for.

Forza Comes to Switch



Who would have ever saw that coming?  Before we get too excited, though, two things: one, it's just a rumor at this point and two, if Forza is coming to the Switch, it'll be in the form of Forza Street.  Forza Street is a mobile-style racing game that has been available for Windows for some time and is headed towards mobile platforms.  It's a free-to-play game with microtransactions, so we all know the game's not really worth playing.  It would be nice to see Forza on the Switch, but if this is how we're going to see it, I'm not sure enough people are going to care about it to invest time in.  Had it been something like Forza Horizon 4, however, that would have been a real eye catcher.

RGT 85 talks a bit about the budding relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft, and it's certainly very interesting to see.  Back when Cuphead came out for the Xbox One, I sorta wished in vain that it would come to the Switch (everything does eventually) because it was a Microsoft published game, but here we are.  Word is, Ori and the Blind Forest is coming too, and Switch owners who've never played it owe it to themselves to play it because it is fantastic.  So yeah, while Street is the Forza game no one wanted, it could very well lead to an actual Forza game coming, or other MS games, in the future.

A New Earthworm Jim Game Is Coming!

But it's an exclusive for the upcoming Intellivision Amico... Ok... Um... what? They honestly just shot themselves in the foot with this announcement, because I don't believe this new console by Intellivision is going to be successful at all.  The new Earthworm Jim would have benefited infinitely more being released on the other platforms as an indie game, even just being released on the Switch alone.  This has got to be one of the biggest head scratcher moments in a while... I love Earthworm Jim, but I'm not buying an Amico just for that.  It'll come to the Switch everything does eventually).

Gaming Update

There hasn't been anything new recently.  Still playing Motorstorm Pacific Rift.  Still playing Puzzle Quest.  Motorstorm Pacific Rift is really trying to be the death of me, though.  I finally moved into the final rank and races are now three laps instead of two so that means it added yet another lap of things that could go wrong.  And they do go wrong, quite frequently.  Last night, I spent around an hour and 45 minutes trying to get first place in one event.  Finally did it, though.  I have enough points in the festival (the game's campaign) that I could just get third in the remaining events and still win it, but I have OCD when it comes to racing games.  I just have to have first... so annoying.

Puzzle Quest has been fun at times, but it's also very frustrating when the luck is not in your favor.  Most times, I can't get anything going, so I make one move and suddenly, they're making all these chain combos and attacks.  It's discouraging when you're winning a battle and then suddenly, you're defeated in the very next turn.  I do get lucky sometimes, though.  I managed to conquer my first city who had over 200 HP and I had a measly 95 I think.  Don't know how I managed that.  Like I said, I get lucky.  I also enjoy other things you can do in the game like capturing monsters and learning spells, and crafting items.  Amazing how there's so much depth in such a simple puzzle game.

As always, thanks for reading and look forward the next Loot Box!


No comments:

Post a Comment