Thursday, December 3, 2020

The Hits Just Keep On Coming (To My Wallet...)

My wallet this season:


As if last month didn't already do enough damage to my bank account with both the PS5 and XSX with three games a piece, the launch window is still tempting me to ground my ship ashore like the seductive siren she is. A couple days ago, I decided to order this:


When I first saw this game unveiled as Gods and Monsters, I instantly wrote it off as a Breath of the Wild clone. Not only was the aesthetic nearly identical, there were gameplay mechanics such as puzzles, magic, and climbing that were clearly ripped off from Zelda. I pretty much had no interest in it until just last week when impressions started making the rounds. Everyone pretty much said that the BotW inspiration is undisputable, but it does enough different to stand on its own. I noticed it was on sale at Amazon for 49.99 and it so happens that I had 27 or so dollars in credit, so I applied it and got it for 26 and change. Honestly can't complain. Seems like it will be a perfect 30 dollar game. 

Also, I decided to get it for the PS5 instead of the Xbox Series X because I didn't want to put up with downloading the upgrade patch on the Series X and plus, I really enjoy the PS5's controller over the Series X. As for the Switch version... I didn't even consider it. I know this game would have been the perfect game to play on the go, but the issue for me is that I don't really play my Switch much on the go anymore, especially now with COVID, it's just work and home. When I'm home, I'd much rather play a better looking version of this game. I think my days of getting multi-plat versions of a game on the Switch are over. 

Then today, I bought two more games:

 

The Pathless immediately caught my eye in the PS5 unveiling event with its mystical visual style and fluid, inventive locomotion system. As the game grew closer to release, I watched a few more gameplay videos and started falling in love with the music, the exploration and most importantly, the bosses. I got Shadow of the Colossus vibes from it, mixed with just a little Breath of the Wild. It's also going for 49.99, so any launch game in this generation that isn't going for 60 and especially 70 is very welcome. 

Speaking of cheaper games, Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition clocks in at 39.99 and this is coming from Capcom, a company that could EASILY charge 70 bucks for their games and still sell well. Honestly, I have no business buying this game right now because I'm behind in the series. I have the previous four DMCs (not including Ninja Theory's DmC reboot) but I've only played the first two. I was also thinking of getting it for the XSX but didn't at first because I thought it was a digital only game. Now that I saw there is a physical copy, I sprung for it, but not for the Series X for the same reason I didn't buy Immortals for the Series X. I do not want to put up with the ridiculous download times for the XSX upgrade patches. Microsoft NEEDS to start pressing XSX specific versions, because it's costing them money at least from gamers like me with poor internet. 

Anyway, I am going to try very hard to make these my final games for the year. I have got to stop the hemorrhaging for a while and go back to my rule of one game a month. I ended up getting seven last month with three games each for PS5 and XSX and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, and now I bought an additional three this month. Ooof...













No comments:

Post a Comment