Sunday, September 14, 2014

Quit FFXIV ... again

So it appears that I've quit Final Fantasy XIV again.  What caused me to start it up again?  I made the mistake of trying it out on the PS4.  Before I knew it, I was sucked in, investing far more of my time on average than I was when I first started last year.  To whom do I own the thanks of quitting a second time?  Why, Square-Enix themselves.

Thank you, Square-Enix, for poorly designing the new crafting content to take hours upon hours upon hours to finish.  So much work is needed to just to get one tool, so much time needed to gather the shards and materials to make the trade-in items for spectacles to break down... and get absolutely nothing for my effort.  Thank you, Square-Enix, for making wasting my time waiting for stupid FATEs that NO ONE enjoys waiting for.  Thank you for never bothering to address this outspoken problem, and thank you for thinking that you have to keep dragging out every bit of new content by requiring ridiculous amounts of time to do... ANYTHING.

See, I quit FFXI because it was a major time sink, although I started it up six more times and it took me quitting six more times before I was finally done with the game for good.  When I first started FFXIV, the game's pacing was fantastic.  I could do most content by myself, and I got my first job to 50 (level cap) in about a couple of months.  I figured this was the way it should be, but things chanced when I entered the world of end-game.  Grind for this currency to buy that gear.  Grind for that currency to buy this gear.  Grind. Grind. Grind.  It caused me to quit FFXIV back in January, and it caused me to quit again now.

I haven't deleted my character, though.  Not like last time.  Last time, I deleted it and when I tried out the PS4 beta in April, I made the decision to see if I could recover my character.  I could, so I did, and started it up again.  I really wish I couldn't recover my character, though, because there would have been no way I was going to go through all that work again.  Little did I know I just set myself up for a whole new set of work.

I kept my character for two reasons.  One, when the next expansion is introduced, the job Ninja will be introduced, and I really would like to try that out.  Yet, it would be extremely foolish to start it up again, as I might get addicted a third time.  I really should just flatout delete the character, but, I did some research in selling accounts, and accounts comparable to mine can net close to a thousand bucks.  If I could sell my character for that much, it would help ease the sting out of me having wasted so much of my gaming life.  I should have done that the first time, though.

I want to keep my plate open for new games.  My next purchase will be this:


Yes, it's another Final Fantasy game, but it's not an MMORPG.  I won't be tied to some subscription that forces me to play it every day.  I can play it every day out of just wanting to genuinely play it because it's fun.  Plus, I loved the first Theatrhythm.  It's a great rhythm based game, and if you love these kinds of games, and have a 3DS, I recommend getting it.  

So, here's to being free of FFXIV... again!



No comments:

Post a Comment