Thursday, June 16, 2016

Just Say NO to Remasters

According to mynintendonews.com Nintendo might consider remastering the beloved GameCube RPG Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door if fans are vocal enough.  I LOVE The Thousand Year Door, and I feel it's the best in the series; it's the one game that all future Paper Marios should have tried more to be like.  With all my adoration for this game, though, I DO NOT want a remaster.  I DO NOT want Nintendo to waste their time remastering a game that I've already played before.  People say, though, that remastering is a good thing, because it introduces a new generation of gamers to a game that was before their time, and to that I say, there is the eShop for that.

Instead, I want a PROPER sequel to Thousand Year Door.  I want a Paper Mario that has that wonderful battle system that made me love TYD.  I want that fantastic TYD writing back.  You know what I would think would be perfect? A Paper Luigi game!  Remember in TYD when you would occasionally bump into Luigi and he would talk about his own adventures?  Make a game that lets us explore Luigi's journey during the time of Mario's Thousand Year Door!

The remastering trend is seriously getting overdone.  It's the reason why the Wii U only has two Zelda games in its library, and they're both GameCube games.  Instead of people being vocal for a remaster, they should be vocal about getting NEW games.  The Wii U's library is already barren enough without having yet another remastered GameCube game added to it.

Just to be fair, this is my same feeling towards remastering on other consoles.  Both PS4 and XBox One collections are peppered with remasters at least once a month or every other month.  I think remastering a last generation game for the current generation is nothing more than a quick cash grab, and only benefits gamers who never had the chance to pick it up for the previous generation.  This isn't like taking a game from 10-15 years ago where it can actually benefit from the extra power.  That's why I didn't care at all about the Windwaker remaster.  That game was already and still is beautiful.  TYD is still beautiful and wouldn't really benefit much from a remaster.

I've only bought a FEW remasters in my life time.  One, of course, was for ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, because Colossus strained the PS2's guts something fierce so it was nice to play it again on the PS3 without the constant slowdown. Ironically, they capped the frame rate on the PS3 because they said that having a faster framerate would dilute the wonderment.  I also bought Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, but that was FAR more than just a remaster of Metal Gear Solid   I also have Tomb Raider Definitive Edition because I was able to get it for free.

Again, however, I think Nintendo would just be wasting their time remastering a game that still holds up today.  I get the excitement over seeing a much beloved game being brought into today's current generation, but I just want people to realize that it's at the cost of a brand new game.  Remember, the Wii U has been out in 2012, and STILL doesn't have a brand new Zelda...

1 comment:

  1. I think having a remaster for a game as a first option should only be considered if the game is a classic that's at least 3 generations behind and may have been a graphical reach for that particular system. Some games, that are easily accessible now, don't need a remaster. They just need to be ported to what we have now for Playstation, Xbox and Nintendo classic platforms to play older games. When Nintendo even decides to remaster, I agree, its at the cost of new games. Sure, there will be gamers who never played it, but honestly, what about new IPs or sequels?

    ReplyDelete