Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Games I Want to See On the Switch

The Switch has barely been out two months, and already, I'm clamoring for more games. I don't just want old games and indie titles and ports of Wii U games.  I want some big AAA Nintendo titles, and I want to see Nintendo revisit some long forgotten franchises as well.  What follows is a small list of what I want to see on the Nintendo Switch. Most of these titles will probably be a given.  But, considering some of these franchises never showed up on the Wii U, or even the Wii, they can still be considered as wishlist games.  So let's begin.

1. F-Zero

F-Zero is one of the many long running Nintendo franchises.  First introduced in 1991 on the Super Nintendo, F-Zero became the home of extremely fast futuristic racing.  Unfortunately, we stopped seeing new F-Zero games after F-Zero GX on the GameCube in 2003.  The Wii and Wii U came and went, and no new F-Zero was seen.  To add insult to injury, Nintendo added F-Zero themed tracks and carts to Mario Kart 8 as DLC, fueling my desire to want a new F-Zero.  Granted, we have the Fast Racing series, with Fast Racing League on the Wii, Neo on the Wii U and RMX on the Nintendo Switch, but these aren't F-Zero games.  Fast RMX is doing rather well on the Switch, so it would behoove Nintendo to release a new F-Zero for the system.

2. Wave Race

One of my favorite Nintendo 64 titles of all time, Wave Race was phenomenal.  I used to be in complete awe with the fluid physics, which probably hasn't translated very well by today's standard.  Wave Race: Blue Storm was one of the launch titles I bought for the GameCube, and I was really impressed with how beautiful it looked back then.  Thanks to A Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, I already know how beautiful games can be on the Switch, and seeing what it can do with a new Wave Race really "wets" my appetite.

3. PilotWings

Launching alongside F-Zero as a launch title for the Super Nintendo back in 1991, PilotWings was a lot of fun.  You could fly a plane or rocket pack, skydive, hang glide, and even fly an attack helicopter.  I got PilotWings 64 and although it was a lot of fun as well, I didn't put nearly the same hours into it as I did with the original.  PilotWings Resort for the 3DS gave me a lot of good times, but it seemed like it should have been a much bigger game.  A new PilotWings for the Switch would fill a much needed game in Nintendo's library: aerial simulation.  I could only imagine how much fun it would be to play this game on the go.  With the joy-cons, I could even see some motion controls for the rocket pack among other things.

4. Mario Paint

Remember Mario Paint?  I do!  I had so much fun painting and doing pixel art and even trying to make 8-bit music.  If one of the Switch's selling points is that it's a gaming tablet, then a new Mario Paint game would feel right at home.  Just one problem, though.  For being a tablet, it doesn't have a stylus.  That's not to say a stylus couldn't be included in a Switch Mario Paint.  After missing the CLEAR opportunity for a new Mario Paint on the Wii U, I feel it's only just that we see one grace the Switch.

5. Animal Crossing

"But, we got an Animal Crossing on the Wii U!"  What, Amiibo Festival?  That shit doesn't exist!  I'm talking about a proper Animal Crossing!  A game where it's just you, not a bunch of Amiibos dancing around a game board!  The GameCube, Wii, DS and 3DS all got a proper Animal Crossing and I want the Switch to have that same treatment.  New Leaf improved so many things in the franchise, yet there's still room for a lot more and the Switch would be the perfect platform for it.  Being such an addictive game, you could take it along with you and keep pulling weeds unabated!

6. Metroid Prime

What "Games I Want to See on the Switch" list would be complete without a Metroid Prime game?  Seems the Prime series has been all but abandoned by Nintendo.  The Wii U never got a Metroid game and Federation Force's existence is seldom acknowledged.  Reggie didn't really confirm or deny that a new Metroid was in the works for the Switch, but... watch it be Federation Force 2.  I would not put it past Nintendo to be so absolutely clueless that they would release it thinking it's what we wanted.

7. A sequel to Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Yes, there have been several Paper Marios since the original N64 game, but only The Thousand Year Door do I acknowledge as a proper installment.  The rest have tinkered with the formula and mechanics too much for me to embrace with the same love and enthusiasm as the other titles. Nintendo always has to experiment with things, and they tend to forget what made their fans fall in love with their games in the first place. They need to take a serious look again at what made the Thousand Year Door so beloved and build on that.  If they could just go back to making a serious Paper Mario RPG again without stupid sticker and card based combat, that would be swell!

8. A sequel to Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

We'll just need to accept that this will never happen.  The Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi games are considered to be Super Mario RPG successors, but damn it if that doesn't stop me from wishing for them!  Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was an epic true JRPG in full Squaresoft fashion.  It made the rest of the Paper Marios and Mario and Luigis pale in comparison.  To see a full-on JRPG with an entire roster of Mushroom Kingdom characters on the Switch to take and go wherever I wanted... well, that would just be a dream come true.

9. Excitebike

This is another game I want to see on the Switch thanks to Mario Kart 8.  Being able to make Excitebike tracks on the go and race them with friends or co-workers would just be awesome.  It's a beloved Nintendo franchise that all the old school gamers know, yet, the last installment we ever got was... Excite Truck.  Noooooo thank you.

10. Virtual Console

Ok, this doesn't really count, because it's not a game - more like a delivery system for games - and it's on the way.  But... when?  This service should have been ready from launch, because there are a lot of older games that I could have gotten on my system already and had been too busy with them to dream up a list of games I want to see come out.  Actually, it would have just given me a bunch of ideas for other games of the past that I wanted to see updated....

No comments:

Post a Comment