Saturday, August 18, 2018

No Virtual Console Still Bothers Me





Yeah, you know, I really wish I could?  I really, really wish I could... But I can't.  The lack of a proper Virtual Console (not to be confused with whatever classic games Nintendo decides to bring over with their Nintendo Switch Online "service") still really bothers me.  I want to play Super Dodge Ball on the Switch.  I want to take it to work with me, stare at somebody on my break and then challenge them to a game of dodge ball by passing them a controller.

Ever since the movie Rampage came out, I've been in the mood to play Rampage again.  Again, I would love to pass the controller next to someone and have them join in.  And then eat them when they turn back into a human.  Lord knows if we'll ever see Rampage brought to Nintendo's online service.

But, I'd really just not like to wonder anymore about whether or not a particular NES game (or SNES game or any game for that matter) will show up on this online service.  I want access to an entire catalogue of classic games, because I want to give Nintendo my money.  Apparently, they don't want me to give them my money.  I am literally the Fry in this meme here.


"Just buy a Classic NES or SNES and hack it."




Well, there is that.  I did buy an SNES Classic last year and an NES Classic this year and although my general status on hacking is that I'm against it, every day that there's no Virtual Console brings me a little closer towards wanting to do it.  Jim Sterling actually did a video on the morality of downloading Nintendo ROMs and I have to say... he's really not wrong.


For starters, many old NES games aren't available at all outside of emulation.  Sure, Nintendo has resold the Marios and Zeldas, Metroid, Ice Climbers, Balloon Fight, etc. several times over, but there are still hundreds that just never get to see the light of day anymore.  They had an opportunity to fix this with the NES Classic by allowing it to connect to the internet and download from their eShop.  They also could have crammed it with more games than just 30 (and far more than 21 on the SNES Classic) considering it has enough storage to hold the entire NES catalogue (which is why it's possible to even hack the things). 

NES and SNES games are also generally regarded as being too expensive with today's pricing.  Usually 5 dollars for an NES game and 8 dollars for an SNES game, it really does add up if you want to buy these games all over again.  With that said, I really don't have qualms with paying 5 here and 8 there for games that I REALLY want to play again, and the sting of having to pay those prices on the Switch is alleviated just from the basic fact that I can take them with me wherever I go.  That's the main problem why hacking Classic consoles and downloading free games on it isn't as appealing as having the option to buy the games on the Switch, and I really wish Nintendo would wake up and realize this. 

Right now, Nintendo is going after large emulation sites and scaring others off, such as emuparadise.com.  But what they don't seem to get is that Nintendo is the reason why most of these emulation sites exist.  One of the best ways to fight crime is to stop criminalizing what you're fighting.  It's why the state of Colorado earned 1.5 BILLION dollars from the sales of weed in 2017. Sure, you could buy weed cheaper from dealers, but what people found out is once you stopped making it illegal to buy, people bought more of it more often and at higher prices.  Legality entices customers.

It won't stop piracy in general, because people just love free shit.  But I'm willing to bet that if Nintendo made their legacy games readily purchasable on the Switch (which has the makings for the largest eShop platform of any Nintendo system), they'll see a lot less of it.  Nintendo has every right to protect their games,  but what I always love to say is that just because its their right, it doesn't make it right. Nintendo has definitely rubbed some people the wrong way with their practices and policies, and they're also hurting themselves in the process.

Again, Nintendo needs the Virtual Console.  The enhanced games released on Nintendo Switch Online just isn't a good trade off.  It's the most frustrating thing in the world to have to watch Nintendo build up their online catalogue of games again for the FOURTH time.  Let us have our damn games and you can have our damn money!

By the way, I'm not buying into Nintendo Switch Online until I get my Virtual Console.  That, or if they add Super Dodge Ball with online play.

No comments:

Post a Comment