Sunday, June 11, 2017

E3 2017: Bethesda Conference Impressions

Bethesda starts their conference off with a video about the kids of Bethesda workers.  Cute! It's followed by a montage of Bethesda games.  Seems like nothing new in it.  I recognize Dishonored 2, Doom, Prey, etc.

Next is an intro done in the Fallout style.  Pete Hines of global marketing comes out.  He talks about their E3 experience calling it Bethesdaland, then about people playing the current video games.  Then he talks about virtual reality.  Two VR games will come out this year.  He shows off the first.

Looks like it's for the Oculus.  It's some kind of space game.  It actually looks like Doom.  Yes, this is Doom.  It's called Doom VFR.

Another trailer rolls and it is instantly recognizable as Fallout.  I can only imagine how awesome this would be in VR.  Fallout 4 VR is the title.

A Bethesdaland video plays to talk about stats for Elder Scrolls Online, and then leads to a player video about the Morrowind expansion.  I never tried Elder Scrolls Online because at the time, I was playing FFXIV and after I quit FFXIV a second time, I swore off MMORPGs so honestly, I'm not even interested in this.  Plus, I never got into Elder Scrolls III to begin with.

Another Bethesdaland video to talk about the mod community and how mods were brought to console players last year.  This is followed by another video, an animated one, introducing a new system called Creation Club, which is supposed to streamline and enhance features for the mod community.  It arrives Summer of this year.

Bethesdaland again, talks about Elder Scrolls Legends, a strategy card game. A video follows showing off gameplay.  Not really excited about it.

Once again, Bethesdaland.  It talks about Skyrim coming to the Nintendo Switch.  I really am hoping for a release date, because I think I want to play the game on this platform.  I never got around to it in the past.  And OMG THERE'S LINK GEAR!  SOLD! SOLD! SOLD!  It looks so awesome!  You can also get treasure chests with Amiibos.  No release date, though... Damn.

Bethesdaland is back, talking about what sounds like DLC for Dishonored 2.  A trailer follows, and although it's all cinematic, it looks awesome.  I enjoyed Dishonored 2, but I very rarely revisit games for DLC, but I might play this.  The title is called Death of the Outsider.

Wow... Bethesdaland... again... This is starting to lose its charm.  Now, it's talking about Quake Champions and eSports.  A video of eSports players follows with a gameplay video right after.  Wow, it's such a fast moving game!  There will be a Quake World Championship with a one million dollar prize.

Bethesdaland introducing another game. It looks like some kind of horror game.  The main character is called Sebastian, mentions some group called Morbius. It looks mysterious and interesting.  They aren't showing any gameplay, though, so I wonder what it's like.  OMG!  IT'S THE EVIL WITHIN 2!  I did not see that coming! Now they're showing gameplay, and wow... it looks so different.  October 13th is the release date.  CAN'T WAIT!

Bethesdaland closes the show with another video.  It's shot like an old television show.  A guy's in trouble, a girl blows a whistle for a dog to come help, but the dog's a giant machine.  Haha.  Liesel? I don't know what to make of this video.. Now it's jumping channels.  It moves to a cinematic game video where a cat's banging the TV remote, and now a guy is getting out of his bed, apparently injured.  It looks like his pregnant wife.  Then there's something happening in a city under fire.  There's a scene with some KKK people, now there's a Nazi... what is this... This Nazi is talking to you, calls you a fireman.  Asks for ID... then it jumps to another scene where they're fighting armored enemies. There's a futuristuc ship, jumps scenes again.  Sounds like everyone's in Nazi occupied America.  This trailer gets more and more interesting by the minute.  Lots of characters being shown. Now gameplay is being shown.  It's a first person shooter of some sort.  A gate says New Orleans.   Ah, the game is Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus.  It looks quite good, actually.

Pete Hines comes back out to end the show.  He says everything that's shown tonight will be out this year.

To be honest, I wasn't really expecting much from Bethesda's conference.  The shortest one so far at roughly 38 minutes, it really didn't have much to show.  Just about every announcement they had was for games that were already out.  I will say I'm excited about playing Doom and Fallout 4 in VR, but I've yet to play either game.  I was really excited to see The Evil Within 2, because I loved the first.  Wolfenstein II also looks fantastic, which is actually making me want to play the first game, which I never did.  I will say my biggest disappointment was no release date for Skyrim for Switch.  I really want to play it now.

Overall rating: C

No comments:

Post a Comment