Monday, June 26, 2017

The SNES Classic Edition: Get Ready for Round Two

Nintendo Announces Super NES: Classic Edition

Even before the rumors began circulating about Nintendo following up their NES Classic with a 16 bit mini edition, I knew this would happen  I am not surprised that Nintendo was going to do the same limited run of mini SNESs.  At least Nintendo has made it clear that these will only be shipped until the end of year.  Due to the NES Classic last year, people know full well what to expect this year.  The race is on.

I've already shared my thoughts on the NES Classic.  I already told myself due to Nintendo's stubbornness, they aren't deserving of my money should they inevitably decide to make an SNES Classic.  Yet, here its.  But there's one thing that's making it very hard for me to resist this time around...

If you'll notice in the upper right corner of the box, you'll see the logo is Star Fox 2.  This is both a blessing and a curse to the system.  No gamer anywhere in the world (aside from those with extremely special connections) has played the sequel to one of the most memorable space shooters made, because Nintendo never released it.  They are giving people a chance to play it now, but so far, the SNES Classic is the only way to experience it, which means this drove up the demand for the system exponentially.  

Nintendo claims they're going to ship more units than they did with the NES Classic but I can guaran-damn-tee you that they won't ship enough. For one, the inclusion of the never-before-released Star Fox 2 just made every single person who owned an SNES in their childhood want one of these things now.  Some people passed on the NES Classic, because of various reasons such as having all these NES games on their phones, or owning them across different platforms via Virtual Console, which I'll get to in a bit.  But now, I'm guessing at least four to five times as many people will want this for that one game alone, and at 80 dollars, it's a fair price to pay for a never released SNES game, a sequel to one of the most amazing SNES games of all time at that. 

Then, we have the scalpers.  I fucking hate scalpers, and if you're reading this and have scalped before, I apologize in advance, but you're a douchebag.  Sure, it's just capitalism, but most capitalists are usually douchebags.  The idea of taking up units that other people genuinely want and flipping them around to sell at gouging prices is just a shitty thing to do, and Nintendo knows this.  They've known it for a long time, as evidenced with Amiibos and of course, the NES Classic.  And although shitty people as scalpers are, they're also smart so you know they're well award that the value of these things just shot through the rough.  Add the increased demand from people wanting this for themselves and the scalpers who want them for the money, yeah... Nintendo, there's no way in General Fuck's Hell you're going to ship anywhere CLOSE to enough units to make people happy.  These will be harder to find than the NES Classic.

Also, I'm wondering if Nintendo is going to bother to fix the short controller cord that was a problem with the NES Classic.  And, the main reason I didn't bother to seriously find one of those Classics was because it was a closed system.  It appears it's the same thing with the SNES.  Unlike the NES, it actually has less games.  But, oh wow, look at this catalogue!
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • EarthBound
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-Zero
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Mega Man X
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out
  • Yoshi's Island
I own, have owned or have played pretty much all of these and these are some of the best, most iconic, classic and beloved titles on the SNES.  Any time you talk shop with an old school gamer and mention the SNES, these are most likely the first titles to be mentioned.  I actually wouldn't mind playing several of these again.  But... it's that Star Fox 2 one that I want it for the most.  If I ever decide to go hunting for the thing, it will because of that very game. 

And it irks me that with as many years that Star Fox 2 has been kept stored away, Nintendo decides to finally release it in a limited edition extremely collectible mini SNES.  I can only hope against hope that Nintendo released it through their Virtual Console... which still doesn't exist on the Switch!  This continues to irritate the fuck out of me, because I hate seeing Nintendo blow business opportunities! Again, they are my favorite company, so it only pisses me off more when they act stupid.  So, honestly, I'm not holding my breath to see Star Fox 2 released via Virtual Console.  Nintendo claims they're always listening to us, but most of the time, they just aren't.  Metroid Prime: Federation Force is a clear example of that.  Hell, have you played a Nintendo game online recently?

Do you want an SNES Classic?  I'm sure you do.  If you decide to try to get one, I'll wish you the best of luck, but while you're at it, buy some lottery tickets.  You'll most likely hit the lottery before you find one at retail price...

No comments:

Post a Comment