Saturday, June 10, 2017

E3 2017: EA Conference Impressions

I haven't been following all the E3 info that closely, so that would explain why I had no idea EA was doing their press conference on a Saturday!  It's not even E3 week!  Ah well, here we go.

EA starts it off with a montage of games and a lot of Star Wars can been it in it.  Next, they bring out a drumline with Madden branded drums, so I'm guessing they're introducing Madden 18.  A cinematic trailer shows what looks to be a story mode.  And the title for Madden 18 is revealed... with a subtitle! Madden 18: Long Shot.  Honestly... does anyone play Madden for a story?

Andrew Wilson CEO of EA comes out to talk about what to expect during their E3 presentations.  Then, they're talking about Battlefield 1, their experiences with the community, and then the upcoming content for Battlefield 1.  There are night and snow maps, so it looks like a lot of content is coming.  But I haven't really been into war FPSes in a long time.  It's hard for me to appreciate what this game is, because I just see it as another run around and shoot stuff game.

Patrick Soderlund comes out on the stage to talk more about Battlefield, but I'm starting to get bored at this point. Then, he's talking about FIFA, which soccer has never interested me, so I'm skipping this.

After I skipped that, I landed on something called Men in Blazers, and I guess this is more about FIFA, so back to skipping I go.

Some Youtuber named Jesse Wellens comes out to talk about the new Need for Speed: Payback, and he's stuttering like crazy.  I'm guessing something isn't right with the set up.  Or maybe he's just too nervous.  Someone from the actual team is brought on to talk about as well.  A trailer is played, and it actually looks pretty fun, kinda like a mission based Burnout.  I need to be honest, though, but it looks rough around the edges, and I'm not liking the acting at all.  Also, the constant gameplay interruption with the slow down to highlight crashes could be something that could really irritate after a while.  Still looks fun, though.

Then a guy comes out to talk more about making games.  He introduces a game called A Way Out.  It's a co-op game from the looks of it.  It shows two brothers escaping from the law, surviving together.  It looks fun, except there's a major problem.  The game is co-op only.  I'd rather the game just be a single player with an AI controlled partner.  Unfortunately, this just killed my interest in the game.  The problem with multiplayer only games is that you need to find someone who is available when you are who wants to play the same game you do.  Skipping the rest.

Same guy (I should really get his name) comes out again to talk about other EA assets.  He's boring me with all his talk about tech and Scorpio and stuff.  He finally shows off a teaser of a new IP from Bioware.  It's called Anthem, and it kind of reminds me of another Mass Effect.

Next, they're talking about NBA Live 18, but I'm not interested in basketball, so I'm skipping it.

Andrew Wilson returns.  He talks about the charities they work with, which is pretty honorable.  He also announced that EA and Origin Access services will be free for the next week as thanks for players participating in charity.  He then reveals Star Wars Battlefront II.  Heh, I love how it starts off with all these tweets about people asking if Battlefront II will have an offline storymode.  The answer better be yes!  :P

Stormtroopers march on stage along with an actress named Janina Gavankar, who talks about the story.  She says the story connects Return of the Jedi to the Force Awakens. What I hate though, is that instead of talking about the single player, they skip right over that and talk about the mulitplayer. I'm skipping.

Oh... and that was it...

Ok, well, thank god I wasn't watching it live, because I would have been bored a lot more during their sports sections.  That's the problem with EA presentations as not being a sports gamer.  There's a lot of sports game stuff you have to sit through.  Also, I'm very disappointed that A Way Out, a game that I got kind of excited for when I first saw it, was revealed to be co-op only.  Again, I hate multiplayer only games, because I don't like scheduling time to play with people.  I'm a single player gamer first and foremost and that was enough to take it off my radar. And I'm extremely disappointed that ALL the gameplay shown in Battlefront II was for the multiplayer, especially since they said Battlefront II has a story mode!  SHOW THAT!

There were only two things that I got excited about.  Need for Speed: Payback and Battlefront II.  I think Payback will be a lot of fun because I enjoyed Burnout, but I'm a bit apprehensive of how much interruption is going to plague the gameplay.  And of course, I'm excited about Battlefront II but no gameplay was shown for the single player, so that was a bummer.

Overall rating: D


No comments:

Post a Comment