Wednesday, October 26, 2016

PSVR: Day Seven

So it's been a full week since I started playing my PSVR, huh? Wow... It seems like I JUST got it!  I have to say, so far with all the games and films I've experienced with it, I don't regret buying one.  It has been so much fun!

With that said, I returned to Playstation VR Worlds today and finished The London Heist.  I had no idea I was right near the end.  I literally was on the last chapter, and it was only about three minutes long.  The game gave me the choice to either kill the gangster that wanted you to steal the diamond for you, or kill the guy you were working with, so I chose one option after the other, and accidentally fired and missed and got a third ending.  The game was fun, but I wish it was beefier, which is the problem with VR Worlds.  There's no substantial gameplay offering, until Scavenger's Odyssey but I'll get to that later.

The next game in VR Worlds that I played was VR Luge, a street luging game that has you barreling down four stretches of mountain road, but they're all very similar to each other, just different settings and obstacles.  I found this one to be very hard, because its times requirements are very strict.  After each round, you only get 25 seconds added to whatever time left you have, and if you hit an obstacle or wall, you lose considerable speed.  You pretty much have to do each leg perfectly in order to win a tour.  I tried a few times, but didn't have the patience.  It's a thrilling experience to go downhill at such speeds, though.

The final game of VR Worlds turned out to be my favorite because it was the one that felt more like a game than any other.  It was called Scavenger's Odyssey.  You play as an alien in a bug shaped quadrupedal mech who drops into a scavenging site and begins looking for an artifact.  I was able to look all around my cockpit, and it was a freaky sensation to see my body as not my body but something truly alien.  You have an energy grapple that pulls and flings objects, your standard machine guns and an ability to hope great distances and even double jump.  Any game that lets you double jump gets a +1 from me.

You aim by moving your head, and you can rotate the cockpit as you move.  Needless to say, it made for smooth gameplay.  With the help of an auto aiming system, I was able to mow down hordes of alien bugs with ease.  At times, there were energy modules that I could tap with my energy grapple and my weapons benefited with a sudden burst of power.  The presentation of the game was solid with your AI guiding you where to go and what to do.  I loved jumping from platform to platform and and letting zero gravity have its way with me.  Unfortunately, the game ended very abruptly, just when I thought it was going to take me to one final chapter.  I would really love to see Scavenger's Odyssey turned into a full fledged game.

I got Until Dawn: Rush of Blood in the mail today and I have to say, don't write this game off.  You may watch footage on Youtube and dismiss it as a cheap scare rollercoaster ride, but you have to be in the game to really experience it.  Watch Jim Sterling's review on the game.  It was his review that ultimately sold me on the game, which helped sell me on a PSVR.

Rush of Blood is a carnival horror on-rails roller coaster arcade shooter?  If there was such a thing as a sub sub genre of a sub genre of a genre.  You can play with either the dual shock or the Move controllers and I opted immediately for the two Move controllers. That's just the way VR is meant to be played if you ask me.  When I started the game, I was met with a carnival guy who rode in a car in front of me and off I went, shooting my guns at targets that popped out of booths and looking for little freaky doll baby statue things to shoot.  Occasionally, people dressed up in costumes would rush my cart and try to inflict damage upon me where I had to fend them off with my guns.  The first stage was pretty solid, but the second stage was just phenomenal.

The second stage had me literally saying, "This game ain't right!"  Lots of haunting stuff going on with ghosts, reanimated pigs and pig parts, giant clown faces and whatnot.  Also, I had shotguns, which made shooting a lot more fun, but made reloading all the time not as fun.  Still, the second stage was such a blast.  The game also has a lot of Until Dawn references, as it should, since it's based off the game, and I love being able to recognize them.  Oh, I also forgot to mention there are boards and obstacles that come your way, and you need to move your head out of its path, or you'll take damage.  The game has a deceptive sense of horror to it for the kind of game that it is.  I can already say after just playing two stages of this game, it's left more of an impact on me than Here They Lie ever did.

Ladies and gentlemen, I think it's time to end this series. I believe I've talked about enough about the PSVR at this point that I can't really talk about anything more.  I've talked about many, many demos and PlayStation VR Worlds and Here They Lie, and now Until Dawn: Rush of Blood.  I've also mentioned how I've felt after using it.  Oh, and I almost forgot, I used it to watch Deadpool tonight.  I really wanted to watch a movie in VR and see what it was like, and since I love Deadpool so much, I decided upon that.  Aside from the crappy resolution, it felt exactly how it would feel watching a movie in a theater!

Overall, I've had a great time with this device.  I would love to pick up a whole bunch more games for it.  I want Thumper and Wayward Sky.  I would like to get more puzzles games too, such as Tumble VR and GNOG.  I'm hoping that the Within app keeps updating and I can experience new films in VR.  There's only a couple of times where I really didn't feel that well after playing the VR, but I've been seeming to build up a tolerance for it.  It's really so light an comfortable that it becomes part of you after a while.  I know PSVR seems expensive at this point, but keep in mind that considering other options, it's about the cheapest for what it can do and how user friendly it is.  Give a try.  I think you'll like it.

As always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment