Monday, October 24, 2016

PSVR: Day Six

Today started off really late.  I misplaced my disc, and after finally finding it, I jumped into PlayStation VR Worlds. I tried out Ocean Descent, which isn't a game at all, but more of a passive viewing experience.  You're in a cage, and it slowly descends to the depths of the ocean.  The first dive, the longest of the three, has a bit of narrative to it.  You're exploring the oceans looking for some kind of cargo.  As you descend, you view all kinds of sea life.  Eventually, you reach the bottom, suspended over a ripped open nuclear submarine, and a shark attacks you.  After it rips off a wall, you begin ascending, and the experience comes to a close.  There are two other dives, but one is just the upper half of the main dive, and the other is just viewing the coral reef.  Beautiful, but pretty boring stuff.

The second game I tried was Danger Ball.  It's practically pong in virtual reality.  You have a paddle that you control with your head movement.  You can flick your head forward for a power smash or side to side for a curve shot.  There's a tournament of six opponents, which with their own unique shots and abilities, and I made it to Round 4 before I gave up and called it quits.  I wouldn't mind going back to it, though,, to try to win it  It was pretty fun, but had my neck aching after a bit.

I also tried London Heist, and this will probably be VR World's gem.  It's a story about a jewel heist gone wrong.  The first couple of chapters were just cutscenes, being interrogated by a thick piece of muscle, and meeting a gangster.  There's some pretty nifty item manipulation going on during these cutscenes, but where the game really gets exciting is during its shooting segments.  They get you physically involved in the game, but as a result, I grew tired quickly.  I had to keep retrying the highway shoot out, because I really sucked at it. When I finished, I was done.  I really hope I don't have to started it all over from the beginning.

All the games are connected a hub that looks like a museum with a statue to represent each game.  There's a hovering ball in front of you that changes every time you change the game selection, and you can interact with.  There was a ball of water for Ocean Descent, a sports ball with lights for Danger Ball and a giant gem for London Heist.  I don't know what the others are yet, because I haven't tried them.  That will have to wait for tomorrow.

I'm glad this was a pack in game, because I could have been done with it in one night had I started earlier and had no reason to return to it.  Sorry I didn't have much to write about it. Once the next two games are done on VR Worlds, that will be it  until I get a new game.  Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is supposed to be arriving tomorrow, so if I start that, I'll play it and talk about it tomorrow.

As always, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment