Friday, October 21, 2016

PSVR: Day Three

Another day thatI didn't get to spend as much time with the VR as I wanted.  I'll just say right now that before I started to type this blog, I took my glasses off to wipe them and I've noticed some scuffing on my glasses from being in direct contact with the VR lenses.  I'm hoping that I can buff them out with some silicon.  This could be very irritating.  

Anyway, around 8 o'clock, I decided to go straight back into Here They Lie and the game started becoming very, very weird.  I was met by one of those monster things with the animal skull mask, but it turns out that it's a man.  They've somehow degenerated into animal like behavior.  This particular guy turned out to be friendly and was leading me down a path.  He also made some pretty disgusting gestures including masturbating in front of me and rubbing his ass on my crotch.  Just disgusting....

Later on, we get to an area where I'm accosted by a guy in an animal mask, and there is a crowd of spectators.  My impomptu guide was thrown on the floor and beaten and then a guy with a lead pipe was going to finish him off.  Instead, he passed the pipe to me, and the game gave me the option to kill the poor guy or the would-be executor.  Of course, I decided to kill the executor.  I was expecting some kind of fight afterwards, but they just let me past.  

As I kept moving forward, the game continued to get stranger and weirder, but it wasn't doing anything to let me in on what was going on.  All I know is there's some kind of cult worship going on, and it's creating an extreme amount of depravity and debauchery among the game's residents.  When I started strolling through occupied areas, I came across people that exhibited behaviors from tripping on drugs, to dry humping, to suicide and even homicide.  Some had weapons and patrolled the alleyways and would kill me if they spotted me.  There was one guard who was looking over a balcony, and then I had a guy creep up behind me, shush me, and then proceeded to throw him over the edge.  He then encouraged me to throw himself over the edge.  What the fuck?  I have no idea what's going on in this game! There was even a moment where I traveled outside of my body after I was forced into a chair and had a ritual performed on me.  I really hope this game starts explaining shit soon, because I need it.  

The game is supposed to give you a rest reminder every 15 minutes or so, but I didn't get a check point until almost an hour later.  I wasn't feeling queasy like I did that first night, but I definitely was ready to take a break.  After being in the headset for almost an hour, taking it off and getting reacquainted with the real world felt great.  I'm pretty sure I won't be playing anything in VR for more than 30 minutes to an hour at a time.  I don't suggest anyone else spend more time than that. 

I played another demo on the demo disc as well.  This time, the game was Job Simulator, a kooky little cartoonish office job simulator that has you performing menial jobs in hilarious ways.  But wow, was it ever aggravating!  The game required you to stand up, and you also needed a good bit of space.  When I tried to cheat it, I found out quite quickly that when I tried to reach my hand into the snack cart, I was thwarted by my bed;  I had to get up. 

This created another problem.  Once I stood up, my VR was out of range of the PS camera, so I angled it to face upward, but that still didn't solve the problem of me needing more space.  When you start the game, it sets up to make sure you have enough space away from the TV.  I then raised the camera and set it back on a shelf behind the TV, and this gave me BARELY enough room that it was satisfied to let me play.  Also, I kept fumbling for my Dual Shock to actually start the damn game, because apparently you can't use the Move controllers to select what game you want to play from the hub.  

Job Simulator was a lot of fun.  It started out with me drinking coffee and eating donuts, and then I discovered I could throw the donuts and giggled like Homer Simpson, although we all know Homer Simpson would never, ever throw a donut.  Airborne pastries found targets behind cubicles and I'd be met with stern looks from my coworkers, who were anthropomorphized computers.  After I stopped goofing around, I had to plug my computers in, turn them on, log on, check emails, delete them all and then just when I started having fun "jobbing", the boss came in to declare 5 o'clock and we were dismissed.  The demo promptly ended.  I'd have to say it was about five minutes long, FAR too short for me.  

Now it's late, and I decided that was it.  I'm feeling little weird residual effects, like things are moving around just like if I was still in the VR. I'm just going to chalk that up to being tired.  I was tired, too, before I put the VR back on to play Job Simulator, so I'm going to say that's the reason why.  

Anyway, as always, thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment