Monday, September 30, 2019

Sega Genesis Mini Part 8

The final batch of games!

Ecco the Dolphin


I remember really liking this game because of the concept, but also not playing it much because I was always getting stuck.  When revisiting it, it made me wonder how I could like it at all.  It doesn't control well.  There's far too many cheap hits.  The map is restrictive.  The level layout is too confusing.  This is one of those games that you needed a lot of patience for, and I know some of my friends had a lot of patience back then.  As for me, though, I don't have any for this game.  Even with save states, I don't think I want to bother with this game anymore.

Ghouls'N Ghosts


Before there was Dark Souls.... But seriously, I think Hidetaka Miyazaki played a lot of Ghouls'N Ghosts as a kid. The sequel to the just as punishing Ghosts'n Goblins, Ghouls'N Ghosts would later appear on the Super NES as Super Ghouls'N Ghosts and prove to be one of the hardest side scrolling action games around.  Its gameplay relied on you dying countless times to learn where the enemies would spawn, which ones shot at you, lept at you, etc., and learning the bosses.  You could get power ups such as super armor that let you deliver devastating attacks, one of which I one-shotted the first boss with.  The longer you kept your power ups, the better chance you had of survival.  Also, it was hilarious to see, Arthur I believe it was?, get knocked out of his armor and run around in his heart print shorts.  I finished the first couple of levels, once again thanks to the lovely save states, and I just might return to this some day to see if I can actually finish it.  Never did finish a Ghosts game.  Would be nice to finish one before I die.

Phantasy Star IV


Ooh, an RPG on the Mini I can actually get into!  But alas, I have to get my blog wrapped up, so I can't spend all night playing it.  I love a good old dungeon crawler, so this one is right up my alley.  The only thing I don't particularly like is how you don't get descriptions over most things you select in battle.  I don't know what spells do what until I actually use them, which is why I really wish the Mini had virtual manuals.  When I do return to this game, I'll have to have a FAQ open.  I like how the battles show the action behind the characters, and then they move in and attack with their own animations.  But... one thing I don't understand... Is my main guy REALLY named Chaz?  


Space Harrier II


Another one of the Genesis launch titles, I'm not sure if I ever played it in its Genesis form.  I'm pretty sure I played it in the arcade.  It was a great psuedo-3D shooter, trippy as all hell.  I did the first three levels, yet again thanks to save states, and I really enjoy the pace of the game.  It's fast and responsive, and for a 30 year old I think still holds up well.  I know it's a bit unfair because of its age, but I kinda wish it had power ups.  It would help mix things up a bit because all you're really doing is mashing one button firing the same kind of round.  Also, the whole concept of the guy riding his rocket on his side while also using it as a weapon is kinda hilarious.  It seems like a pretty short game even with 10 or so levels, so I'll think I'll come back at some point and finish it.  

Toejam and Earl


Ah, Toejam and Earl, back when video games tried too hard to be "hip" and "cool".  If this was now, they'd say "Swag" and "YOLO".  What?  Kids don't say that anymore either?  Anyway, I remember having a blast with my friend playing this game when it came out.  Nowadays, I don't think it particularly aged well.  I found it quite boring and dull to be honest.  There's nothing really interesting going on in the levels, just avoid enemies, pick up presents and find spaceship parts.  I'm trying to remember what I really saw in this game.  I guess it was because I was playing it with a friend, so what it's missing is co-op so we can be bored together.  

Sonic the Hedgehog 2


Here we are, the final game of the collection: Sonic the Hedgehog 2.  In my opinion, this is one of the best sequels ever made.  Everything has been improved.  Graphics, animation, music, levels, speed and of course, the addition of Tails.  Tails was such a fantastic part of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, because not only did it give Sonic a helper in taking out enemies and collecting lost coins, it also allowed for a second player to play right along side Sonic.  This meant that boss battles became much easier because now there were two characters attacking Robotnik at the same time. And the half pipe bonus stage was so fun as well.   I did the first three zones and wanted to do more, but the third zone was Aquatic Zone, and underwater levels really stress me out.  Nothing like hearing that danger music when Sonic starts running out of air to tense you up.  Man, I just can't get over how good this game was.  Truly one of the Genesis' best games!

Thanks to everyone who read through all of my blogs!  If you haven't already, go get you a Sega Genesis Mini.  It is worth it!



No comments:

Post a Comment