Sunday, September 22, 2019

Sega Genesis Mini Part 3

Alex Kidd and the Enchanted Castle


I think this was on the Sega Genesis collection for the 360, and I remember not liking it very much.  It just seemed too cheesy for me and the gameplay just wasn't much fun.  The enemies were weird.  Cars, toy planes.  There was this weird way of getting items by playing Rock, Paper, Scissors, but I actually never lost.  Maybe I was just that lucky.  Oh, and the thing that bothered me most about this game was attacking in mid air.  I couldn't figure out why sometimes he kicked, and other times he didn't.  Actually cost me a few lives.  Anyway, I don't think I'll return to this one.

Darius


I probably played this in some form or another.  I'm probably getting it confused with Gradius.  Anyway, the days of me being good at bullet hell shooters are most likely over.  I made it to the first boss, but just couldn't do it.  I like the gameplay, being able to upgrade your missiles and bombs and armor.  Graphics were pretty decent too.  I may try this game again just to see if I can better with practice.  Now I'm wondering how the NES version on Switch Online is like.

Eternal Champions


I'm starting to notice a trend when it comes to Genesis games that I've played in the past.  I remember them being better.  I remember really enjoying this game as a kid, but for some reason it just doesn't do it for me now.  It honestly feels like a cheap version of Mortal Kombat, and you can definitely see it's influenced by it.  Doesn't help that I suck at fighting games now.  I couldn't even beat the first challenger.  I did like how there were environmental deaths.  I just didn't enjoy when it was done to me. 

Light Crusader


It said this was an action RPG... Where was the action?  I know I'm not being fair, but I got lost running around the town trying to find a lost person, and I couldn't find my way out of the town to actually do any combat.  I guess if I ever decide to return to this game, I'm going to need to use a strategy guide.  I'll probably go back, because I am curious to see how the actual gameplay is like. 

Road Rash II


I thought I played this one back when I was a kid, but when I played it again, it didn't seem like the same game I was remembering.  Maybe it was the first one.  Anyway, it didn't age very well.  It was really hard to try to fight people on motorcycles, and most of the time when I tried, I'd get distracted and crash into a car or turn too wide and flip over a tree, so I found it not worth it most of the time.  I did get 1st place on the second track, though.  That's when fighting actually paid off because I had to keep my position.  Not sure if I'll play anymore of it, though.

Sonic Spinball


I had this game on the Genesis and I played it all the time.  Because I loved Kirby's Pinball Land on the Game Boy, when I heard there was going to be another pinball game but with Sonic, I had to get it.  It actually still holds up today with the levels having many different paths.  It's just a little frustrating at times when you're trying to flip Sonic in a certain direction and you can't hit him right.  The real saving grace is that there's a safe spot in between the paddles that allows Sonic to jump up and get back into play, but the downside is if miss that spot, it's game over.  I didn't finish the first level, because this happened twice, but I'm going to play more sometime and actually remember to use save states this time.  

As always, thanks for reading and I'll talk about more games tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment