Friday, September 27, 2019

Sega Genesis Mini Part 6

Wonder Boy in Monster World


Wonder Boy is one of those franchises that's managed to extend its life all the way to the Switch.  It's a decent action-RPG.  You start off in a town where a cliche tragedy has befallen it in the form of a princess being kidnapped.  (Anita Sarkeesian would roll her eyes at this game) You can buy weapons and armor and use magic and whatnot.  The gameplay, though, just isn't that compelling to me.  Combat isn't very exciting.  This was also one of those games that really would have benefited with a virtual manual because I couldn't figure out how to use items or magic until I looked up a FAQ.  I'm sure the game's good enough to warrant a full play through, but it's low on my priority list right now.

Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition


So before I talk about this game, which what can I say - it's Street Fighter, I have to mention that my friend and I were on opposite sides of the 16-bit console wars.  I was the SNES owner.  When Street Fighter II came out for the SNES first, I rubbed it in his face.  Little did I know, his Genesis would get Championship Edition and he'd rub that in my face, since CE let you play as the bosses.  He didn't have that big of a win, though, because SF was a six button game, and he only had a 3 button controller.  He had to press Start in order to swap from punches to kicks.  I'd have the last laugh, though, because SNES would get Street Fighter 2: Turbo, a far superior edition.  Anyway, I only played a little bit of this because I've gotten so rusty, I didn't have the patience to dust myself off.  I picked Guile at first, but couldn't get past Ryu, so I cheesed it with M. Bison and spammed Psycho Crusher.  God, was Bison overpowered....

Alisia Dragoon 


Wow, I've never heard of this game!  For starters, I have an affinity with dragoons. I love the Panzer Dragoon games, and I love playing dragoons in the Final Fantasy games.  But the dragoon in this game is different than anything I've played, because she doesn't look like a dragoon and she summons HOMING LIGHTNING!  That is bad ass!  She also has a dragoon that follows her around and she can swap it out with other dragons as well plus a weird fireball thingy.  It's a hard game, though.  One life, no continues.  Save states baby!  I only did the first stage, but I think I'm going to return to see if I can beat it at some point. 

Beyond Oasis


I remember hearing about this game, but I don't think I've ever played it.  It kinda plays like a top down Zelda adventure game with a brawler-like style of combat.  Supposedly, it's made by the same team that made Streets of Rage 2, so that would explain that.  I tend to get lost rather easily in games like these and after wandering around not really knowing what to do, I began to get rather tired.  My fault for playing it too late at night, but I think once I return to this game with a fresher head, I may be more open to continue exploring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment