Friday, September 20, 2019

Sega Genesis Mini Part 2

So I played another four Genesis games today.  The first:


I'm pretty sure I own this in some other form or fashion, but this was the first time I remember playing it.  I've heard a lot of good things about it, but to be honest, I was severely underwhelmed by what I played.  I mean, it's not really fair, because it came after the far superior Castlevania IV on the SNES, and I just hate playing this game without being able to aim that whip eight different ways.  I'll eventually return to it and see how much farther I can go with it, but sorry if  I upset any Castlevania fans. 

Next up:


Damn, this game did not age well at all.  As I kept getting cheap shotted after cheap shotted with horrible hit box detection, I had to remind myself of the era this game came from.  This was a console port of an arcade game that was designed to pummel you into the ground to get more quarters off you.  These kinds of games did not translate very well on the console because every cheap hit feel that much cheaper.  I know there are some people very skilled at this game, but I don't have that level of patience.  I'm not sure I'll ever return to this game again.  

Next up: 


This was a game that I never played, or even heard of.  It's an adventure game that decent graphics and animation, responsive controls and, what I really love, the ability to block.  That move was rare in games of that nature back then.  I played until I got to statue that I didn't know what to do with, so I gave up.  I do want to go back to it at some point, because I can see myself actually playing through this game, unlike Golden Axe. 

Lastly:


First off, let's talk about that ridiculous box art.  Definitely an 80s game.  In fact, Capcom was notorious for bad box art back then.  Anyway, this was a game I remember loving in the arcade, and I believe I loved it on the Genesis as well, but upon playing it again, I don't think it really stood the test of time.  It just seems so... messy.  Hit detection is all over the place.  The jumping is this weird cartwheel/somersault thing that doesn't allow for the agility needed to get out of the way of danger.  The sword slashing is fun, and I love activating all the assistant bots.  At the end of the day, though, I kept thinking to myself, "I want to play Shinobi III instead."  I'll try to return to the game later and see how much more I can play. 

I'll try to play four more tomorrow night.  As always, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment